May 26, 2011

[Somewhere between Heaven and Hell...]


Once upon a time... Dan, Aaron, and I decided to hike the Seven Devils Loop at the top of Hell's Canyon in Idaho. A 30 mile trail threads its way through the granite spires and scarred valleys of the Seven Devils range. The trip challenged all of us in many different ways, but I was completely humbled when my very significance was overshadowed by the majesty I encountered at Baldy Lake. Only a fraction of the grandeur is captured here in this photo! We had slept in that morning; Day 1 was brutal, and Day 2 greeted us with rain and fog. We reached the shore of Baldy Lake just as the sky cleared and the sun hung just above the Eagle Cap Wilderness on the distant side of the canyon. I was immediately stunned by the rainbow that framed the already impressive peaks. I stood motionless, breathless. Knowing I should make camp before dark, I reluctantly turned to go, then I was petrified again-- not more than 20 feet ahead, an enormous bull elk was silhouetted against golden rays piercing the gnarled pine forest.  Eyes like the night sky glared at my pathetic form. I realized then that I was walking on holy ground. My gaze locked with his, I thanked the Guardian for allowing us to stay awhile as his guests. Satisfied, the hulking warrior turned and resumed his patrol. After I caught my breath, I thanked the Creator for this glimpse of His unfathomable masterpiece that is LIFE!

PS: A BIG thanks to my bro Ryan for salvaging my disposable photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw it on the fire...