July 19, 2010

[IJM Application Addendum]

Application Form Addendum

1) List your experiences living outside of your home nation beyond one week…
> November 2007 – January 2008: I was accepted to the TEFL course at Prague Schools in the Czech Republic; the course was one month in length, and I spent nearly all of my time on campus or completing homework assignments in my apartment. However, I had made arrangements to see friends in France, Switzerland, and Austria before the program began, then France and the U.K. after the program had finished for Christmas and the New Year.
> March 2006 – April 2006: A friend that I had met through YWAM invited me to revisit Thailand, as well as touring Cambodia. She had never been, but she, too, is concerned with social justice issues and planned the trip to investigate the issues in these two countries first-hand. We spent some time in Bangkok, then went up to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai to make new friendships and to revisit AYDC (see next entry). While in Thailand, Jenn had me read Tears of My Soul to prepare for our trip to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. I was never taught about the horrors of Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge until I had read the book. Jenn applied for, and was assigned, a Peace Corps post in Zambia shortly after we returned to the States.
> December 2002 – February 2003: I was accepted into Youth With A Mission’s Discipleship Training Program in September 2002, the second phase of which was International Missions. My team consisted of 5 other students, myself, and one team leader. We spent 10 days in Vietnam, volunteering at orphanages and covertly ministering, then spent the rest of our time in Thailand, mostly at the Akha Youth Development Center in a village near Chiang Rai. We taught English, gave our testimonies to the villagers, and helped with improvement projects around the Center.

2) List briefly and describe your current and prior commitments to social justice…
My first visit to Thailand prompted me to sponsor 2 children from the shelter monthly as my tithe; the sponsorship provides each child with their food, housing, school uniform, and school supplies. Ever since I received my Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) certification, I have had a heart for working with the elderly and otherwise disadvantaged; I am currently working in a group home occupied by 3 developmentally disabled adults. I have especially enjoyed volunteering at the Hope Center here; I serve as a cashier in the Thrift Store department, but the Center is a unique collaboration of many local churches that also provides a Food Bank, GED Training, and Emergency Assistance programs. In the past, I have also joyfully volunteered as a Teen Mentor, English Tutor, and Barista with Community Christian Ministries and a local church here in Moscow.

3) How did you first hear about IJM?
I was attending a Jubilee concert at the Nuart Theater in Moscow when they showed a promotional video of yours. I have been watching and waiting for the next “big step” in my life, and the video rang true with everything that I had been feeling and thinking. I took a pamphlet, then started browsing your website. No one that I closely know has worked with IJM before.

4) Briefly describe how you see an IJM internship experience impacting your future.
I am hoping to get connected with IJM in every way that I can, and this internship position seemed like the best way to start. The Lord has given me a heart for serving overseas as well as a fascination with languages and communication. If my application process goes well, I would seriously consider a career with IJM. If our paths diverge, I would hope that you could point me in a similar direction.

5) List the dates of involvement, name and location (city and state) of your home churches.

1990 - Current
Bridge Bible Fellowship
960 West Palouse River Drive
Moscow, Idaho 83843

2003 – Current
The Crossing Moscow
715 Travois Way
Moscow, ID 83843

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw it on the fire...